Flamanville cape and Sciotot bay

Partager
Printer-friendly versionSend by email

Current Size: 100%

Anse de Sciotot (Sciotot bay)

Framed by the cap de Flamanville and the cap du Rozel, the Anse de Sciotot, is a four kilometre long beach of fine sand protected from the prevailing winds. Here is a paradise for sand yachters and surfers, far from the big holiday beaches, with a tidal amplitude of nine metres giving it the nickname "coast of the great tides". Overlooking the Anse de Sciotot, the panoramic view of the Roche à Coucou stretches from the cap de la Hague, Cap Cotentin to the cap de Carteret, one of the most outstanding views in the region.

The beach flew the European Blue Flag in 2014 and work has been carried out in order to improve the welcome and facilities for tourists, notably with the building of a new disabled toilet.

Standing stones of the Cap de Flamanville

Near the cliffs at the Cap de Flamanville, which never fails to attract the attention of curious visitors. This is a highly enigmatic megalithic monument located near the semaphore station on the Cape. It consists of a huge block of stone weighing more than 10 tons balanced on three rocks, extended in a line by half-buried stones. This type of megalith is known as Castel Dolmen, a "Pierre Rey" or a Tripod. It is located on a high point on the cliffs known as "la Nigue." The old semaphore station stands nearby and today houses a restaurant and gîte..

 

Le Sémaphore du Cap de Flamanville

By its forward position into the sea, the Cap de Flamanville is a perfect place to monitor the coast from the Nez de Jobourg to the Pointe de Rozel. This is why the site was chosen in 1794 to become one of the lookout posts located on the French coast.

Flamanville semaphore station was built in 1807, consisting of a mast, with signal panels operated by a system of pulleys and levers, originally designed only for the Navy. It allowed observers watching marine traffic remotely to communicate with shipping. The panels could take up to seven different positions, composing a total of 343 signals. In the middle of the nineteenth century an electric telegraph cable was hooked up to the mast for instant communication and the Navy found itself with 440m² of bare land with only the standing stones for company.

 

A building was then constructed on the Cap de Flamanville with accommodation for two watchmen and their families, as well as a semi-circular room which was located around the signalling mast. In 1923, a public telephone point was opened, then in 1928, the tower disappeared, replaced by radio antennae that operated until the commissioning of the Jobourg CROSS service in the early '70s which brought monitoring activity at Flamanville to an end. Sold by the Navy to the town in 1984, the Semaphore station was transformed three years later into gites and a restaurant, called the Semaphore, which opened in 1989.

 

source: Mairie de Flamanville

Click here for Sciotot webcam