Goury cape

Partager
Printer-friendly versionSend by email

Current Size: 100%

Auderville is located at the tip of the Hague peninsula along which the Raz Blanchard flows - one of the strongest tidal currents in the world. It owes its name to the whirl of white waves, cut off in their advance by strong current shoals between cap de la Hague, Cap Cotentin and the Channel Islands. These currents can reach speeds of 10 knots by high tide, are the strongest in Europe and make sailing very difficult.

 

Goury and its lighthouse, with the low stone walls characteristic of La Hague, have earned it the nickname “Little Ireland”. Don't forget to pay your respects at the cross erected in memory of the sinking of the Vendémiaire.

Goury Lighthouse

In the year 1823 twenty seven ships sunk off La Hague. Shortly after this terrible year the construction of a lighthouse was placed under consultation. The project began in 1834 and required a large workforce working over 3 years. In 1837, the granite tower was completed. At 48 metres high, it supports a lantern equipped with powerful lenses. This lantern, with a range of 25 km, continuously rotates at the rate of one flash every five seconds. Oil was used as fuel until 1971 but today, a wind turbine provides electricity for the lamp. A foghorn was added at the beginning of the 20th century.

In 1940, the lighthouse was occupied by the Germans. It stopped shining until 1 July 1944 - the date of its liberation.

 

Lifeboat station 

The commissioning of a lighthouse greatly reduced risks and shipwrecks but they nevertheless remain a common occurence. In 1865 a company called Société Centrale des Naufragés took the initiative to provide the whole coastline of France with sea rescue. In 1870 the first lifeboat was stationed at the port of Goury. A shelter was built in 1878 (it is now the tourist office). In 1928, the rowboat was replaced by a motorboat. For this purpose, the current octagonal shelter was built.

The boathouse allows launch by two different routes: one directed towards the port and one to the open sea. The boat rotates inside the shelter on a turntable. Supported by a carriage, it launches into the water on rails.

The Mona Rigolet, named after its largest donor took up residence place in its new shelter in 1990. This new boat, 17 meters long, is equipped with two 350 hp engines and can travel at up to 18 knots.

 

Auderville, like all municipalities in La Hague, is composed of scattered hamlets, including the charming, listed village of la Roche.

Pass through the hamlet of Laye to find the magnificent panoramic view over the Baie d'Ecalgrain.

 

Take a look at the Goury webcam here